Coconut oil is one of Indonesia’s mainstay commodities. Indonesia’s geographical conditions and tropical climate make coconut plants thrive. Copra, or coconut meat has become a source of livelihood for people in various regions in Indonesia.
COPRA COCONUT OIL FACTORY
Copra coconut oil has also been marketed to various parts of the world. Since the first, copra farmers have been familiar with the technique of making coconut oil. The traditional way that is run by the community still survives to this day.
The copra drying process is usually carried out for 3 to 5 days. The dried copra will then be chopped into a coarse grater before milking the oil. Quality and marketable copra must have a very low moisture content, which is between 6 to 7 percent. Copra with high moisture content is usually easily rotten and moldy.
Processing at Copra Kelapa Coconut Oil Mill
Along with its development, the processing of copra oil has also shifted to a more advanced industrial scheme. Copra coconut oil factories also appeared in Indonesia. Not only large industries, copra farmers have also started to apply technology to process coconuts.
One of them with an oven machine. This machine is used to dry copra more quickly and consistently. With an oven machine, the copra that has been separated from the shell will be heated using a temperature of 80 degrees until the water content is only 6 or 7 percent. The dried copra is then ground using a chopping machine before being pressed to drain the oil contained in it.
The following are the stages of processing copra into Crude Coconut Oil (CCO):
The collected oil is then deposited for filtering. The filtered oil also still has to be reprocessed by adding alkaline compounds (KOH or NaOH). This process is carried out to neutralize and remove free fatty acids contained in CCO.
Once the fatty acids are gone, the oil will be treated with activated charcoal or a color absorber to produce a clean and clear oil. Next, the clear oil will be steamed with hot steam to remove the compounds that cause the rancid aroma.
If all processes have been followed, then the oil is ready to be packed into cans or bottles. The packaged oil is then labeled and ready to be distributed to the market.
Copra Oil Derivative Products
Crude oil or CCO will then be reprocessed into several derivative products. Among the copra derivative products that are most often marketed include:
Both copra coconut and palm oil, these two products are used as raw materials for cooking oil. Most of the coconut production is used as raw material for cooking oil.
Copra coconut oil is also being used as biodiesel fuel. Biodiesel is a type of fuel that is environmentally friendly and can produce maximum diesel engine performance.
Copra coconut oil is also often used as a raw material for the food processing industry. One of them is as an ingredient for making butter.
It is undeniable that coconut oil is also used as a raw material for making cosmetics. For example, VCO coconut oil is often used to make lotions and skin and facial softening products.
Coconut oil and palm oil are also used as basic ingredients for making lipstick. This lip balm, which is a must-have cosmetic for women, contains coconut oil to hold the color and prevent it from melting.
The content of vitamins and minerals in coconut oil is also useful for maintaining body hygiene. That is why coconut oil is used as a basic ingredient for making soap. Coconut oil is useful for making soap smoother and softer.
️ Animal Feed
Coconut meal or copra expeller is usually considered as pulp. But make no mistake, coconut cake turns out to contain fat and protein. Coconut meal can be used as raw material for animal feed such as cattle and pigs.
The potential of coconut cake is very large in Indonesia. This product is even in demand as an export commodity to neighboring countries such as Vietnam, India and other Asian countries.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Health
Besides being used as a food processing ingredient, coconut oil apparently has a myriad of benefits. Coconut oil can also be used as a nutrient that nourishes the body. Here are some of the health benefits of coconut oil:
- Maintain Blood Sugar Stability For those of you who have a history of diabetes, coconut oil is the right product for you. The content of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) in coconut oil can increase insulin sensitivity in the body. These nutrients can also be used to improve glucose tolerance in the body, thereby helping to keep blood sugar stable. So, consuming healthy coconut oil on a regular basis is very good for diabetics.
- Prevent Osteoporosis In addition to maintaining the stability of blood sugar, quality coconut oil can also help the absorption of magnesium and calcium in the body. This function is very useful for those of you who want to maintain healthy bones and joints.
- Eliminates Bacteria and Parasites in the Body Healthy coconut oil is also high in antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that are useful for counteracting free radicals in the body. The antioxidant content in coconut oil can treat inflammation in organs such as arthritis, gallstones and pancreatitis.
- Maintain Heart Health Coconut oil which contains saturated fat can increase HDL (good cholesterol). The saturated fatty acids in coconut oil can also turn LDL or bad cholesterol into harmless ones. High levels of bad cholesterol can increase the risk of heart attack. Therefore, coconut oil can help to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Lose Weight If you think coconut oil can make you fat, that’s not true at all. Coconut oil contains saturated fatty acids that actually help burn belly fat.
Write a comment